2021 100th Anniversary of the Bluenose Gold Coin | Royal Canadian Mint
Buy with Confidence
The Royal Canadian Mint's (RCM) annual $100 gold coin, now in 99.99% pure gold — order today!
The design that gave Bluenose the gift of speed also gave the schooner its grace and majesty. RCM's 2021 Bluenose centennial celebration continues on this limited edition collectible, which highlights the ingenuity and elegance of the ship's design. On the 20 mm coin's reverse, the photo of a newly launched Bluenose before being fitted with sails and rigging presents a different view of the fishing vessel, while the hull drawing is a nod to the design that made it a racing champion.
This is the only gold coin in RCM's 2021 celebration of the 100th anniversary of Bluenose. Mintage is limited to 2,000 coins worldwide — order today!
- PART OF THE BLUENOSE ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION: The Bluenose story continues! The 2021 Proof Dollar was the first chapter of a story that continues on multiple coins this year; the next chapter is Bluenose's launch, which is the theme behind this magnificent coin.
- BIG ON DETAILS: Thanks to a mix of different finishes and techniques, this coin's engraved design is just as detailed and complex as previous $100 pure gold coins.
- A DIFFERENT VIEW! You're used to seeing the image of Bluenose under full sail — that's how the ship has appeared on RCM's 10-cent circulation coin since 1937. For this design, RCM engravers opted for a new perspective that emphasizes the bow and shows Bluenose without its sails and rigging.
- A TREASURED TRIBUTE: The only gold coin in RCM's yearlong (2021) celebration of the 100th anniversary of Bluenose, the ship that captured a nation's heart and lifted its spirit! It is the pride of Nova Scotia and a Canadian icon, and it has also been a big part of the Royal Canadian Mint's story since 1937.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
The reverse celebrates Bluenose through two images that are precisely aligned to create a contrasting effect. In the background, the hull drawing focuses on W.J. Roué's streamlined design and the clean lines that contributed to the ship's successful racing career. In the foreground, the image of Bluenose without sails and dressed in an array of signal flags is based on a launch day (March 26, 1921) photograph, but the use of a forced perspective emphasizes the bow and creates a sense of movement. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Marine architect W.J. Roué's first design for Bluenose specified a waterline length of 36.6 metres (120 ft. 1 in.). That was too long to qualify for the International Fishermen's Race—the maximum allowable length was 44.2 metres (145 feet) and a waterline length of 34 metres (112 feet)—so Roué submitted a revised design that would become his masterpiece.
- The only modification Roue made to the design was to accommodate a request from Captain Angus Walters. The forecastle was raised by 30 cm (1 ft.) to give the crew more headroom, which meant the ship's topside and bow were also raised.
- Bluenose was launched on March 26, 1921. It took another two weeks for the ship to be ballasted, rigged and fitted out in preparation for its maiden voyage to the Grand Banks.
A WINNER BY DESIGN
In the Smith and Rhuland shipyard in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia., the construction methods were the same ones that had built more than 100 vessels, but Bluenose's design set it apart. Its architect, William James Roué, had envisioned a sleek-looking schooner that would be a "combination of Gloucester and Nova Scotian vessels, with the depth of the former and the breadth of the latter." Through theory and calculations, Roué drafted the blueprints for a vessel with a large hold for her catch carrying capacity and a hull that was optimized for reduced resistance in water—giving her speed that was a benefit in her fishing and racing careers.
- Vessel no. 150,404, registered at the Port of Lunenburg, N.S., in March 1921.
- Length: 43.6 metres (143 feet) *not including bowsprit
- Waterline length: 34 metres (112 feet)
- Displacement tonnage: 258 tonnes (285 tons)
- Beam: 8.2 metres (27 feet)
- Draught: 4.85 metres (15 feet 10 inches)
- Sail area: 930 square metres (10,000 square feet)
Your coin is individually encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.
'Bluenose' is an official mark adopted and used by the Nova Scotia Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage pursuant to the Trade-marks Act (Canada). It is used by the Royal Canadian Mint with the Department's permission. William James Roué Signature © jeroué. Used with permission. Blueprints of 1921 BLUENOSE © jeroué. Used with permission. bluenose.novascotia.ca wjroue.ca
ABOUT THE ROYAL CANADIAN MINT
The Royal Canadian Mint is known as one of the most reputable mints in the world. The Ottawa Branch of the Royal Mint opened in 1908 and was renamed The Royal Canadian Mint in 1931 when control was transferred to the Canadian government. The Royal Canadian Mint is renowned for producing some of the highest quality and purity of gold and silver bullion coins and bars in the world. Their high standards for excellence and quality allowed them to be the first refinery to manufacture 9999 fine gold bullion coins in 1982, as well as the first to reach 99999 fine gold purity in 1999.
Your coin will be received in a beautiful, Royal Canadian Mint, branded clamshell box.
|Royal Canadian Mint|
We make sure your metals are handled with the utmost care until the moment they reach your hands.
Your order will be packed within 5 business days of cleared payment. Orders with pre-sale items will ship once all items are in-stock.
Free shipping over $299
Orders over $299 ship for free! Orders under $299 ship for only $19.95.
Our trusted carriers
We ship via express courier or Canada Post. To ensure your complete confidence, every package we ship is fully insured and tracked, with a signature required upon delivery.
Every package we ship is fully insured. This means that you would receive a full refund or exchange in the extremely unlikely event that your package is lost or damaged during transit. Please remember to notify us of damage, tampering, or delivery issues within 24 hours of the signature or delivery date. Failure to notify us within this timeframe may impact our ability to cover your claim.
Up-to-the-minute transparent pricing with no hidden fees
Sell your metals back to us with ease
Tens of millions of dollars of in-stock inventory to fill an order of any size
We bring our heart to every moment of your buying experience
320,000 5-star reviews:
Earned from verified orders placed on our website
Safe & secure payments:
Explore our many easy ways to pay!
Fast secure shipping:
Every shipment is secure, discreet, and fully insured
Diversify Your Savings with Confidence
Wide Range of Plans:
Choose from RESP, LIF, RRIF, RRSP, TFSA, LIRA, and FHSA, to diversify and strengthen your savings portfolio.
From account opening to choosing metals and secure storage in Canada, we manage every aspect to ease your journey.
Instant Liquidity & Personal Security:
Enjoy the flexibility to liquidate your investments or take physical possession of your metals, securely stored on your behalf.
Gold and silver can enhance your purchasing power, offering a safeguard against inflation and currency depreciation.
Fully Insured Storage:
Your investments are protected by Brinks Canada and Questrade, with additional CIPF account protection.
BOOK FREE CONSULTATION
Security and Convenience in Every Transaction
Your investments are protected in Brink's vaults, complete with armed guards and 24/7 surveillance. Each deposit is fully insured by Lloyd's of London, ensuring peace of mind.
Global Reach, Local Service:
With over $150 million in customer deposits across 6 locations in 4 countries, we offer unmatched service and accessibility.
Transparent and Low Rates:
Benefit from the lowest rates with 24/7 account balance updates, ensuring transparency at every step.
Through our Instant Liquidity program, expect the best rates and funds transfer within 1 business day.
Your holdings are confidential with us, thanks to our partnership with private entities like Silver Gold Depository, Lloyd's of London, and Brink's.